Topics for Discussion
- What do you make of Delegate Robertson’s arguments in favor of the "right to work" provision? What do his ideas reveal about his political philosophy?
- To what extent are "right to work" laws misleading? Explain why.
- How did the adoption of the phrase "right to work" by open shop proponents demonstrate the power of language?
- What arguments did Delegate Johnson use against Hellenthal? Do you think Johnson fundamentally agreed or disagreed with Delegate Robertson?
- Why did union proponents see the "right to work" campaign as a threat to their survival?
- Why did "right to work" proponents see unions as the destruction of the American way of life?